Set by Maya Davis
Move Cursor Here
For the answer
- Who are the occupants of 62 West Wallaby Street, Wigan?
Wallace & Gromit
2. Where might you regularly see a Throbber
When starting up a computer – it’s the whirly revolving thing)
3. Whom did Arlene Foster succeed as DUP leader?
4. Which fictional character’s forenames are Jules Amédée François?
5. The fossils Kairuku grebneffi and Kairuku Waitaki recently discovered in New Zealand are extinct species of which creature?
6. TENS pens are used by some people for pain relief. For what does TENS stand?
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
7. The main title of the comic SF subtitled ‘or How we found the Bishop’s Bird Stump’ is the less-quoted end of the title of an earlier comic novel about friends going on holiday. What is the full title of the original comic novel?
Three Men in a Boat –
to say nothing of the dog’
8. Goyahkla was born in the USA on June 16, 1829 but is better known under another name. Under what circumstances did his namesake make news in 2021?
Goyahkla is better known as Geronimo – the name of the alpaca put down after allegedly testing positive for bovine TB)
9. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, was born on 10 June 1921 on the island of Corfu. His birth certificate shows his birth date as 28 May 1921. Why the discrepancy?
Difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars
10. What is particularly unusual about the Sauteur d’Alfort breed of domestic rabbit?
It can’t hop – it walks in a sort of ‘handstand’ on its front legs instead
11. In which serialised novel do we find two verses of Ode to an Expiring Frog by Mrs Leo Hunter?
12. Give the title of the work by Sullivan, based on a poem by Longfellow, whose characters include Lucifer, Elsie and Prince Henry.
The Golden Legend
13. Which novelist once lived in a house (now a hotel) which shares its name with a species of ‘ox-headed’ duck?
(Ian Fleming – the house and duck are both called Goldeneye, of the genus Bucephala = ox-head, which also includes the duck species Bufflehead and Barrow’s Goldeneye
14. Where might Questions to the Heavens be answered in part by Perseverance and Hope?
Mars – the three missions to Mars in February 2021
15. Which pasta shape has a name derived from the Italian for ‘reed’?
Cannelloni – from ‘canna’
16. Which organisation, founded in the UK in 2015, has a name which can be translated into English as ‘Spirit of Creation’ or ‘wonderful’?
Chineke! foundation and orchestras
17. Where would you normally see Alexander’s Band?
Between the two bows of a double rainbow
18. Which magenta-coloured item returned to Britain for the first time in 143 years at a cost of $8.3 million?
British Guiana 1c magenta postage stamp, bought at auction by Stanley Gibbons – the world’s rarest stamp
19/ When is Star Wars Day?
20. A beagle/pug cross is usually called a puggle – but in what actual species is this name given to the young?
Any of the species of Echidna – and sometimes, by extension, the Platypus
21. Give either the Latin or the Greek word for the ‘wand’ typically carried by Mercury/Hermes in Classical mythology.
22. Z & W in birds are the equivalent to what in humans?
X &Y chromosomes
23. The titles of two of the original Carry On films are commands other than ‘Carry on’. Which are they?
Don’t Lose Your Head & Follow that Camel
24. Which fierce creature was rendered harmless by St Francis and then mourned by the people of Gubbio when it died?
25. Which fictional character ‘was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner. . . ‘.